Welcome to my webpage!
I am Michele Mancini, Senior Economist at the Bank of Italy.
My research interests are international trade and global value chains.
Google Scholar – My IDEAS – VoxEU profile – CV
Contact me: michele.mancini (at) bancaditalia.it
- The impact of EU sanctions on Russian imports, with A. Borin, G. Cappadona, F. P. Conteduca, B. Hilgenstock, O. Itskhoki, M. Mironov, E. Ribakova [VoxEU column]
- The real-time impact of the war on Russian imports: a synthetic control method approach, with A. Borin, F. P. Conteduca, 2022, ZBW Working Paper [link] [VoxEU column], Revise&Resubmit
- Trade Decoupling from Russia. International Economics, 2023, forthcoming. with A. Borin, F. P. Conteduca, E. Di Stefano, V. Gunnella, L. Panon [link WP version, VoxEU column on GVCs and Russian war]
- Measuring Exposure to Risk in Global Value Chains, with A. Borin and D. Taglioni, 2022, World Bank Policy Research WP, 9785. [VoxEU column] [link] [slides], Revise&Resubmit
- The EU’s Open Strategic Autonomy from a central banking perspective, 2023, IRC Workstream on Open Strategic Autonomy, ECB Occasional Paper Series, No. 311. [link]
- Trade and Economic Activity: Non-Linear Modelling and Forecasting, with A. Borin and A. Gazzani, 2021, [link], Revise&Resubmit
DATA and tools
- Global Value Chains (GVC) and Value-Added trade analysis in Stata: icio is a user-friendly Stata tool to compute measures of GVC participation and trade in value-added. Check it here. Based on Belotti, Borin, Mancini, 2021, Stata Journal, 21(3). [link] [slides]).
- World Bank WITS Global Value Chains Database, based on Borin, Mancini, Taglioni, 2022, WB WP [link]. Data available here
- Positioning in Global Value Chains: World Map and Indicators. A new dataset available for GVC analyses, with P. Montalbano, S. Nenci, D. Vurchio, 2022, DiSSE Working Paper, [link]
PUBLICATIONS IN PEER-REVIEWED JOURNALS
- Trade Decoupling from Russia. International Economics, 2023, forthcoming. with A. Borin, F. P. Conteduca, E. Di Stefano, V. Gunnella, L. Panon [link WP version]
- Measuring what matters in value-added trade. Economic Systems Research, 2023. with A. Borin [link WP version]
- Reshoring and plant closures in Covid-19 times: Evidence from Italian MNEs. International Economics, 2022, vol. 172. with E. Di Stefano, G. Giovannetti, E. Marvasi and G. Vannelli. [link]
- icio – Economic Analysis with Inter-Country Input-Output tables. Stata Journal, 2021, 21(3). with F. Belotti and A. Borin. [link] [slides]
- EU transfers and euroscepticism: can’t buy me love? Economic Policy, 2021. with A. Borin and E. Macchi. [link]
- FDI and firm performance: an empirical analysis on Italian firms. Review of World Economics, 2016, 152(4), with A. Borin. [link]
Michele Mancini economist global value chains international trade
Michele Mancini economist global value chains international trade icio